One of the things I’ve missed since going keto is a warming bowl of chilli, but with a bit of experimentation I’ve managed to combine two of my loves – keto and slow cooking! Obviously it’s sans-beans because they’re all just too high in carbs but with the celery and tomatoes, it didn’t really feel like it was lacking too much. This recipe serves 8 people, can be frozen for eating at a later date, and one portion is 10.7g carbs, 11.2g fat, 35.4g protein and just 288 calories, making it the perfect keto dinner.
We served ours with Bare Naked “rice”, a konjac-based rice substitute which comes in a sachet and can be microwaved just like normal rice, except a serving is just 0.1g carbs and only ten calories!
- 900g lean beef mince
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 100g tomato puree
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 2 red bell peppers, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsps tabasco
- dash of olive oil
- Brown the mince in a frying pan with a tiny dash of olive oil
- Drain the mince and add it to the slow cooker
- Add the onion, pepper and celery to the pan and fry until onion starts to go translucent before adding to the slow cooker
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste
- Fill one of the tomato tins with water and add to the slow cooker
- Add the spices and give it all a really good stir
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Serve with konjac rice, sour cream, avocados and grated cheese
Next time I would also perhaps add some chopped pickled jalapenos to give it a bit more bite, but it was still really tasty exactly as it was. Let me know if you give this a go, or if you have your own variation of this dish that we could try!