Something I’ve found since I started eating keto is that I seem to do better with a “little and often” approach, rather than trying to plan three main meals a day. Combine this with the fact that I often get hungry in the evenings AND I crave snacky, crunchy food, I’m often on an “AVOID CRISPS/TOAST/CHIPS!” wavelength when finding something to eat.
Sometimes, though, the simplest snacks are the tastiest and getting creative with what’s in the fridge can really help. Last night, I was having a major Jones for something salty and crunchy and as much as a 25g portion of peanuts is nice, the carb levels are too high to properly indulge.
This snack satisfies the need for something salty, spicy, flavourful and with a definite CRUNCH which makes it absolutely perfect for me and it couldn’t be simpler to make:
- 30g grated parmesan
- 50g grated cheddar
- 85g cubed pancetta
- 12 slices of pickled jalapeno
- Preheat an oven to 200°C
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper
- Sprinkle a 50 pence sized circle of parmesan onto the tray in dots (I usually make 12 at a time)
- Place a little pinch of grated cheddar on top of the parmesan
- Place a few cubes of prosciutto on top of the cheddar and top with a jalapeno slice
- Bake in the over for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is golden and crispy around the edges
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly before placing on a plate - ENJOY!
I can’t even tell you how tasty these were so I’m hoping the photo does a good job of showing you! They’re 45 calories PER crisps, so really not a low calorie snack (especially as they’re so moreish and one definitely won’t be enough) but at less than half a gram of carbs per crisp, they’re pretty much the perfect keto snack! My husband commented that they’d also be good dipped in salsa but I have no idea how carby salsa would be so don’t take my word for it!
Let me know if you try these or come up with any variations of what to top them with.